First settled in 1853, Uvalde is located 70 miles west of San Antonio between the border town of Del Rio and the great city of San Antonio. Situated in Southwest Texas, Uvalde is an hour drive from the Mexican town of Ciudad Acuna and at the junction of two of the largest highways--US 90 and US 83. The County covers 1,588 square miles and is midway between San Antonio and the International Amistad Reservoir on the border. The City of Uvalde covers 5.47 square miles. Other towns in the county include Knippa, Sabinal and Utopia; smaller cities include Cline, Montell, Concan, and Reagan Wells. The town is connected to Knippa and Sabinal to the east and Cline to the west by the main line of the South Pacific Railroad, which generally runs parallel to US 90.